Radishes - Greens & Roots21/07/2012 10:08
A few recipe ideas for Radishes and their tasty Greens leaves.
* Radishes are great added to salads, to make sure they are really crisp, soak them in iced water for around 30 minutes before slicing.
* Grate them and mix with a little softened butter and chopped parsley, then add a spoonful onto a pan-fried steak.
* Pan fry whole radishes with little olive oil and butter until golden, season with a squeeze of lemon, serve with pork or chicken.
* Enjoy Radishes as pre-lunch nibbles, Wash a bunch radishes with ice cold water, drain and halve, arrange on a small platter or dish and serve with Sea Salt for sprinkling.
RADISH TOP SOUP
Radish Top Soup is easy to make, tastes great, and is light enough to enjoy on a warm summers day.
3 Bunches Radishes
1 large onion, chopped
4 Potatoes, peeled & chopped
3 cups water or chicken stock/veg stock
2/3 cup milk
1 tbsp butter
salt & black pepper
Cut tops from radishes and wash well (keep the radishes for use in another recipe.) Melt butter in large heavy saucepan, Add onion and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
Add radish leaves and saute until wilted, next, add potatoes and 3 cups of water. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
Puree soup in batches in blender, or use stick blender in saucepan. Return to saucepan and mix in milk. Stir over medium heat until hot. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
* Beet greens and Kale would also work with or instead of the Radish greens for this soup.
A delicious peppery pasta sauce
2 bunches Radishes
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
75g pine nuts, toasted
75g parmesan cheese + little extra to serve
salt & black pepper
bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Cut the leaves off the radishes, wash & dry. Slice the radishes and chop the leaves. Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the pasta. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and saute onion for 3-5 minutes. Add garlic, pine nuts, radishes and leaves and cook until the leaves wilt and soften, season with a little salt & plenty black pepper remove from heat and keep warm. Drain the cooked pasta and add the radishes and the parmesan, stirring together. Serve the pasta with the chopped parsely and an extra sprinkling of parmesan over the top.
280g Sliced Radishes
2 small Red Onions, thinly sliced
125ml White Wine Vinegar
2 tsp Salt
6 whole black peppercorns
Put the Radishes and Onion slices into a large jar.
Put the vinegar and sugar into a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolves. Combine with the salt & peppercorns, mix well, then pour over the radishes and onions. Cover the jar and chill overnight for the best flavour. Serve with Japanese/Asian style food, or in sandwiches, also lovely with cheese.